|Governance - Executive Council|
Chi Psi was established first at Union College in 1841 and became a national fraternity with a second Alpha at Williams College in 1842. In the early years, even as Alphas were being added quickly, no central governance was needed. Communication was frequent between the many Alphas and the National Convention held each year saw almost all brothers of the Fraternity.
In 1879, the office of the #7, National President was created. Revisions were being made yearly as to how the Fraternity should be governed and in 1891, the Executive Council was established. It has expanded over the years, its members today comprised of the current #7, Verne G. Istock, E '62; all living past presidents; nine alumni; and three undergraduate representatives. The Executive Council is assisted by an advisory board of currently nine alumni.
The Executive Council meets three or four times a year to oversee the governing affairs of the Fraternity between Conventions. It implements the directives of the Convention, oversees Central Office employees, grants preliminary colony status to prospective Alphas, and ensures that Fraternity activity conforms with the Constitution and By-Laws.
4/10/2015Spring P&G Preview